Tuesday, September 23, 2014

New Adventures for a Wandering Mind

                I feel like it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, though I think it’s really only been a couple weeks. I’d like to post maybe once a week if I can, but I’ve been pretty busy the last couple weeks. I’m only writing now because while I have homework I could be doing right now, this is probably more important in the long run. This is how I do most of my writing practice.

Discipleship Group

                For those who didn’t know (though I did mention it in an earlier post), I am a discipleship group leader this year. This means that once a week (for the whole school year) I lead a group of guys through a book. We’re going over Galatians for You by Timothy Keller. We haven’t gotten very far in it yet, but so far I really like it. Being a D-group leader this year means I also meet once a week with a team of other leaders also going over this book. It’s a really neat experience so far being a part of two different groups going over the same book. The leader group meets Thursday nights and helps prepare me for when I lead my group Monday nights. This is really the first time I’ve been a part of something where I’ve been an actual official leader. It’s kind of a neat feeling. In our groups, we’re not meant to be a preacher or anything; our job is to facilitate discussion in the group, and it was really cool to see that play out. For the most part, all the guys in my group (5, including me), spoke about the same amount of time. I kept having to remind myself in that meeting and in others that I am a leader. More importantly, they see me as a leader. It’s kind of been forcing me to step outside my comfort zone a bit, which is really a good practice to get into. It’s my job in the group to ask questions, to decide when we move onto the next question, and overall to guide the meeting from beginning to end. This is really my first time doing something like this, but I’ve loved it so far. For any Cedarville students reading this, I would highly recommend becoming a discipleship group leader while you still can. It’s really not too much of a time commitment, and it’s also very rewarding.

Church

                One huge lesson I learned this summer in Sequoia was how to be more adventurous. Through A Christian Ministry in the National Parks, I learned to adapt quickly to new situations and take on roles I never thought I would take. I developed a love for doing things I’d never done before. I learned how to be spontaneous and how to take risks. I’d like to think I brought these skills back with me to Cedarville.

                This year I have a new room and new roommate (though same dorm, because the guys I live with are like family). I have a new leadership role on campus. I’ve started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is actually a really good show (I’m now on season 2). I’ve also now found a church home here in Cedarville.

                The last couple years I didn’t really have a church home. I would usually go to Emmanuel Baptist with my brother, Southgate with my uncle and aunt, or other random churches with other guys in the unit. But last semester, I visited Cedarville Presbyterian with a guy in my unit, and I really liked it. This school year, I’ll be going there every Sunday.  Two Sundays ago I attended a membership class the church offered and last Sunday I became an official affiliate member of the church. I’m just an affiliate member because I’m already a part of a Presbyterian church back home, where my dad is the pastor. Also, I’m only going to be in Cedarville until May, then I’m gone (hopefully to England…).

I’m not sure if I would consider myself a Presbyterian, I just really liked the atmosphere of Cedarville Presbyterian (as well as First Presbyterian Church of Exeter back home). Most of the other churches I’ve visited the past couple years are fairly big. I’m really bad at estimating amounts of people, but probably the average people in most churches I visited were around 200 or so. Cedarville Presbyterian, however, has maybe 20-30 people, and my church back home probably has around 20 as well.

                I’m much more comfortable in smaller groups of people (which another reason I’m glad God gave me such a small D-group). When I visited larger churches, I almost felt isolated. In huge congregations, I sometimes feel that there is no way I’ll be able to join something so big and organized and busy. Even people that go to large churches all the time would not single me out. They could just assume I’m a regular attendee of this church. With so many people, it would be likely that two members of the same church might not ever meet each other despite attending together for several years. That might be a bit of an exaggeration but I hope it explains what I’m thinking. This is why I like smaller congregations better. At a church with a much smaller congregation like Cedarville Presbyterian, people notice when I visit. They see a new face in the crowd, and they greet me.

                Another thing I like about Cedarville Presbyterian (and probably most Presbyterian churches) is that we have a fellowship time afterwards. In all the churches I visited the last couple years, this was the only one that had something like this. The word church refers to the people, not the building: the people are the church. Therefore I believe churches in general need to focus more on building relationships with each other. Honestly one of my favorite parts of Presbyterian services is the fellowship time afterwards (and not just because of the food). It’s great to worship with fellow believers but I especially love talking to them and actually getting to know them. If you’ve ever seen me with a group of people, I may seem very shy and will only offer a sentence or two into a group conversation. But if it’s just me and another person, I become much livelier. I’d like to say I thrive on one-on-one discussions, though I haven’t had too many. I love listening to people’s stories people and I also love to tell my own stories. And what makes this even better is that most of the people in Cedarville Presbyterian (and the one back home) are kind-of old. These people have lived much longer than I have. They’ve seen things and experienced things I never will (or won’t for a long time). Many of them have rich histories waiting to be discovered in conversation; stories of war and other scary times, but also stories of beautiful times long past. I love that because of their age, they are filled with wisdom far beyond my years. I look forward to building relationships with them this school year.

The Caged Dog

                Anyway, I went on a longer tangent there than I meant to, but it was enjoyable. This is why I enjoy writing. I have no rules. I can write about whatever I want for as long as I want. It’s a very freeing experience. At the same time it also helps me develop my writing voice, which is key in becoming a successful writer.

                Another aspect I like about writing is actually possibly a problem: I’m very easily distracted. I notice sometimes in class that while the professor is speaking, my mind wanders off to some other topic. This doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m uninterested in the subject, just that I have a lot on my mind. And often when I “come back to reality” I realize that I have literally no idea what the professor has just said. I get so lost in recesses of my mind that I can’t hear what is going on. I’m sure if I really concentrated I could stop this from happening but I almost don’t want to. And I don’t get completely lost in thought; I’m sure if the professor were to suddenly change subjects or do something unexpected I would notice. But it’s really interesting that when I “zone out” like that it’s like I’m not seeing and hearing the professor anymore; I’m suddenly seeing different things in my mind, and hearing the voice of my thoughts.

                But what does this have to do with writing? When I’m free-writing, much like now, I can write about what I’m thinking while I’m thinking it. Even as I’m writing this, I’m thinking it out loud in my head (if that makes sense). This is one of the only activities I can do that syncs my inner thoughts with direct tangible work.

                Think of it this way: my mind is like a caged dog. No matter where I am – in class, in church, or wherever – the caged dog in my head is itching to get out, always thinking about what it’s going to do once it’s free. For that caged dog in my head, a blank page is like an open field: it has no boundaries. After a long day of being caged up, I’m finally allowed to run around and play.

                I’d like to end this post with a quote of myself. About a year ago in my Intro to Creative Writing class, I wrote a piece called “Who am I?” In this assignment, I was supposed to tell about myself but in new and creative ways. This especially like what I had to say about my mind:


                “My mind is a free bird with no destination; it easily wanders and is easily lost. It has gone far but still has many places to travel.”
(You can find the full text here)

No comments:

Post a Comment